Make a stack of these savory cornbread waffles, and your next brunch or lip-smacking lunch is just a few steps away. Add some crisp bacon and/or melted cheese, and you’ll want these waffles on repeat for weeks to come. They are perfect for stowing in the freezer, offering an instant heat-and-eat option that’s healthy and satisfying.
Don’t most things taste better in waffle form? Cornbread is no exception. It’s probably fair to say that I have made more waffles and crêpes in my life than I have made pancakes. That’s probably due, in no small part, to my late grandmother’s influence. Another reason that I pick waffles over other options they don’t require turning on the oven.
Simple, crisp, and elegant, waffles deserve a spot on the table beyond weekend mornings. Add some bacon, grilled eggplant, fresh tomato, and melted cheese. Then sprinkle with green onion and see if you don’t agree that your waffle iron is able to do more than earn its keep.
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (gluten-free if needed)
- 3/4 cup pancake mix or baking mix (such as Bisquick or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Mix)
- 1 +1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar or other sweetener
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup almond milk, coconut milk, or dairy milk
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil or butter, melted
- Optional: za’atar or Italian spice blend, to taste (around 1/2 teaspoon or more)
- Combine first five dry ingredients in a medium or large mixing bowl. In another bowl, blend together egg yolks, almond milk, and oil or butter. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Preheat waffle iron.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredient bowl and stir until batter forms. Fold in beaten egg whites until integrated into batter.
- Bake batter in a waffle iron until waffles are crisp and golden. Serve warm, as a side in place of bread, or top waffle with savory ingredients (such as bacon, cheese, tomato, eggplant, avocado, etc.) to make an open-faced sandwich. Freeze any leftover waffles for future use.