As the weather cools a little, our family’s fall schedule is revving up. Thank goodness for simple meals like this winner of a sheet pan dinner! The vegetables can even be prepped and stored up to three days ahead of time, which streamlines getting dinner into the oven when every minute counts!
A rich marinade keeps the chicken moist and juicy. This means that I can take out a cooked portion of the chicken and vegetables to feed kids early before we zip off to sports practice, and then leave the pan in the oven that I just turned off. Thanks to retained heat, the food is still warm when my husband gets home a little later.
As a time-saving bonus, I can use any leftovers for a special Greek salad for lunch the following day. This Greek salad, from my friend Jane, is so much more appealing than a common sandwich. And leftovers (if there are any) add yet another reason to make this sheet pan dinner often.
I find that cooking via sheet pan is superior to slow cooker recipes because the vegetables are roasted and not soggy. Plus I don’t have to remember to start cooking it earlier in the day. Furthermore, they are less work than threading kabobs on a skewer. Sheet pan dinners are definitely becoming a regular thing in our menu plan for so many reasons. They offer efficiency without sacrificing texture and taste.
Bonus: Consider using the empty tray to bus the dishes to the sink after the meal!
Greek Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- 1 to 1.5 pounds (450 to 650 g) boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) strips or cubes
- 2 summer squash, yellow squash, and/or zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 large white or red onion, quartered and cut into thick slices
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 + 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pure honey
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil or avocado oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- dried oregano leaves, to taste
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Whisk together mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, honey, 2 Tablespoons oil, and garlic to make a marinade for the chicken pieces. Coat chicken well with marinade and set aside for several minutes (perhaps while you cut the vegetables).
- Toss the cut squash and onions with 1/2 teaspoon (or more) lemon juice and 2 teaspoons oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the seasoned vegetables on a large sheet pan (with edges to catch the juices) or rectangular baking dish. Add marinated chicken, interspersing pieces of chicken with the cut vegetables. Sprinkle with oregano. Bake at 350 degrees F (180 C) for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Plate servings directly from the sheet pan or transfer the chicken and vegetables to a serving bowl and serve warm.
I’m sharing this at Allergy Free Thursday and here.
16 thoughts on “Greek Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner”
You are speaking to me! LOVE this dish.
Thanks, Johanne! Did you grow any squash this year?
Delicious it is! Hope you get to try it! 🍽
Does that pan recipe approach look delicious and time saving too.
Yum. Would love to have some with you all.
Thanks for sharing. My husband will surely love it
Love that you can prep in advance! Looks delish 🙂
Yum and yum again. I see you are on a Greek kick. I say Opa! – Kat
Yes, thanks to my inspiring friend, we’ve been eating well. 🍋
This sounds delicious! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Allergy Free Thursdays! 🙂
Thanks, Raia! I love seeing what others are creating each week too!
I LOVE sheet pan dinners! This looks delicious. 🙂