Not only is this one of the easiest salads ever, it is also packed with vitamins A and C, thanks to the peas and carrots. I make this salad frequently in the spring and summer for dinner and potlucks. The serving bowl is almost always empty by the end of the meal. Even family members who are not pea fans like this creamy side dish, and I think you will too.
All you really need for the basic version of this creamy, refreshing salad are four ingredients: peas, mayonnaise, carrots, and salt. It’s super easy and quick if you want it to be. Or you can add some extra colours and flavours to make it special. You decide. Both versions are less involved than making potato salad. Simple and pleasing for the whole family, this sweet pea salad is a side dish that merits frequent mealtime appearances.
Creamy Sweet Pea Salad
- 2 cups frozen or fresh petite peas
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (or coconut cream to make it vegan)
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated
- 2 radishes, sliced or grated, optional
- 1/2 of an English cucumber, sliced and quartered, optional
- 1/2 of a yellow sweet bell pepper, diced, optional
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, optional
- 2 green onions, finely chopped, optional
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- sea salt, to taste
- Blanch the peas by placing them in boiling water for one minute and then draining them in a strainer. Immediately rinse with cool water and drain well.
- In a medium bowl, combine cucumber with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and season with sea salt. Transfer cucumbers to a serving bowl (or individual mason jars). Combine mayonnaise and peas. Add salt to taste.
- Layer peas over cucumbers or toss with remaining vegetable ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.