Cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger whirl together with the cherries, cocoa and coconut to yield a deliciously satisfying smoothie that’s practically a meal on its own.
Now I finally have a workout routine to go along with all the protein smoothies I’ve been enjoying! After reading about how to raise healthy daughters, I recognized that I need to do a better job of leading by example and caring for myself. So I have joined a biweekly exercise class and participated in the Go-To-Bed Challenge to move toward getting more sleep.
After finishing a Zumba workout, I come home ravenous. So on the second day I prepared for this occurrence ahead of time. After breakfast I cooked up some yellow split peas and I let them chill in the fridge while I was at the class. Being able to whip up a filling post-workout smoothie just minutes after I walked in the door was fantastic.
I had some cooked split peas left over, which I could keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days or freeze in an ice cube tray to toss in the blender later. Or I might put them into a peanut butter smoothie, some risotto arancini or an egg and grits casserole. Those pulses are so versatile!The flavor of this smoothie is similar to my paleo Cherry Coconut Banana Ice Cream, but with the added interest of chai spices. A few carrots and a small scoop of tuna salad on the side and I was energized for the rest of my day. So here’s to happier, healthier weeks ahead–and smoothies made more delicious with cherries and coconut milk!
Cherry Chocolate Chai Smoothie
- 1 ripe banana, chilled or frozen
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 3/4 cup frozen dark sweet cherries
- 2 Tablespoons cooked yellow split peas, optional
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons diced avocado OR 1 Tablespoon almond butter, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of ginger
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
- In a blender jar, combine banana, cherries coconut milk, avocado, and cooked split peas. Blend at high speed until smooth. Add cocoa powder, coconut flakes (if using) and spices and blend to incorporate.
- Pour in almond milk, maple syrup, almond extract and vanilla extract. Blend again until smooth. Serve chilled.