I’ve found the perfect breakfast and post-workout smoothie! No expensive whey protein or other powder is required, thanks to the yellow split peas contained within. Yellow split peas are a mild-tasting type of pulse that helps boost the protein and fiber in a super healthy way.
This week’s Pulse Pledge challenge is to include pulses for breakfast. And this smoothie is such an easy, delicious way to do it! Using leftover cooked split peas on hand from making arancini, I discovered a healthy treat that I’ll be making again soon. All I need now is a good workout to precede drinking it!
Peanut Butter Pulse Protein Smoothie
- 1 ripe banana, preferably frozen or chilled
- 2 Tablespoons cooked yellow split peas
- 1 +1/2 Tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup almond milk or other non-dairy beverage
- several drops pure vanilla extract
- extra sweetener of choice, optional, to taste
- In a blender jar, combine banana, peanut butter, and cooked split peas. Blend at high speed until smooth. Add cocoa powder and blend to incorporate.
- Pour in milks and vanilla extract. Blend again until very smooth. Serve chilled.
I’m also linking up to Savoring Saturdays.