It struck me recently that I could try adding chicken, shrimp, or even tofu to my favorite Korean-Chinese salad recipe. And so I tasted it with chicken. It reminded me of another favourite salad, Vietnamese goi. Asian sauces and dressings really are the best. I never tire of the perfectly balanced flavours they impart. Should you try this refreshing salad, I believe you will be similarly convinced.
Adapted from Asian Cucumber and Peanut Salad
- 1 large English cucumber, julienned
- 3/4 cup shredded cooked chicken (or prepared tofu skin)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, divided
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup peanuts
In a small bowl, combine garlic, chili sauce, salt, vinegar, sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds. Pour over cucumber and chicken, tossing to coat. Chill for 1 hour or more. Shortly before serving, add spring onions, peanuts, and remaining 1 teaspoon sesame seeds.