Combining crisp, salty bacon and creamy avocado is always a good idea. Add tangy pickle slices, wrap everything in a healthy cabbage leaf, and you’ve got a new go-to lunch, appetizer or anytime snack.
Last week I obliterated a craving for a standard BLT sandwich with these savory bacon wraps. And today I took out my cabbage to make more wraps because they are so addictively satisfying!
Though there are many kinds of special wrappers you can make or buy, I think nature has a simpler way in the crisp green leaves of lettuce and cabbage. No rolling pin or skillet required. Except you might want a skillet for the bacon. Yet even with bacon I find there is an easier path. So I bake my bacon in the oven. Less hands-on time allows more time to savor food and fellowship. Or for me to achieve something else in the kitchen, like the elusive clean sink.
I must stress that pickles are an essential component of the avocado and bacon filling. The sweet tang of the pickled cucumber ties everything together and keeps one’s taste buds coming back for bite after bite.
So far I have just used Polish-style sweet pickles in these wraps. (Thank you, kind relatives who left us with a jar over the holidays.) But I think that other types of homemade pickles or relishes would work just as well. For example, you could make a vegan version of my Tangy Cucumber Salad (without the chicken) and add the pickled cucumbers to the wraps for a bit of Asian flare.
Avocado and Bacon Cabbage Wraps
- Fresh Napa* cabbage leaves, rinsed, drained, and trimmed
- Uncured bacon
- Avocado, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- Polish or other sweet and tangy pickle, sliced thinly
- Fresh carrot, cut into matchsticks
*Savoy cabbage may be substituted, though the flavor is not as delicate. Common thick cabbage is not recommended at all.
- Cook the bacon according to package directions in a skillet or oven.
- Assemble the wraps by placing avocado slices in the center of each cabbage leaf. Add cooked bacon, pickle slices, and carrot in desired proportions.
- Fold cabbage around the fillings and eat like a taco.