Steering clear of the standard breakfast or lunch fare? Opt for this creamy bowl of seasoned grits topped with eggs and freshly chopped onions, tomatoes, and cilantro.
I have a mental block about eating smoothie bowls, but they look so pretty! So I decided to create a savory twist on those colorful bowls for a hearty breakfast or lunch option. This was my lunch today, and I much preferred it to an ordinary sandwich. So much flavor in each bite!
Southwest Egg and Grits Bowl
- 1 to 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup dry grits
- 1 Tablespoon sour cream, crema, or mayonnaise
- sea salt, to taste
- taco seasoning, to taste
- regular or vegan cheddar cheese, shredded, to taste
- butter or vegan buttery spread, to taste, optional
- green onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons green enchilada sauce or salsa verde
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons cooked yellow split peas (or sausage or ham)
- sweet bell pepper (capsicum), chopped, optional
- fresh cilantro sprigs (coriander), optional
- chopped fresh tomato
- Cook grits via stovetop or microwave according to package directions. Remove from heat. While still very warm, stir in cheese and sour cream or mayonnaise. Add taco seasoning and sea salt to taste. Stir in part of the chopped green onion and transfer seasoned grits to your bowl.
- Preheat and grease a small skillet to scramble eggs. When eggs are cooked through, remove from heat and add sea salt to taste. Place eggs on top of the cooked grits in the bowl. Add split peas and enchilada sauce or salsa, followed by green onions, chopped pepper, and ciltantro, if using. Finish by adding fresh tomato.
I’m sharing this recipe at Allergy Free Wednesday.