Kohlrabi–that curious vegetable that abounds at farmers markets, yet few people know how to prepare. Wonder no more. Chop it up into a cool, colourful salad. White potatoes, move over, there’s something better. And feel free to spice up the flavour with a sprinkling of cumin or fresh herbs like basil. That’s next on my list to add.
This summery salad was inspired by one of our family favourites, Rainbow Potato Salad. Yes, they both contain ham. But if you are vegetarian or averse to pork, all you need are beets as a vibrant substitution. Then after you finish your low carb salad, you have my permission to indulge in some freshly baked butter tarts spiked with berries and rhubarb. It’s all about balance, right?
Kohlrabi Cube Salad
- 1.5 cups fresh carrots, peeled and cut into 1-cm cubes
- 1.5 cups kohlrabi, cut into 1-cm cubes
- 1 cup ham or beets, cut into 1-cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- chopped green onions, optional
- sea salt, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to boil. Add chopped vegetables. Boil for a few minutes, until tender-crisp. Drain and rise under cool water.
- To cooled vegetable cubes add ham, mayonnaise and chopped onion. Stir to mix. Season with sea salt to taste. Serve cool.