Easy and delicious, these buttery cookies were all I could manage with a visitor arriving in a few hours. When there is so much to do and not enough time remaining, it is helpful to have some deliciously distracting treats–just in case I don’t get my house as clean as I would like. Created from simple pantry ingredients that I had on hand, the taste was rich and sweet, which meant I had to protect them from being devoured by family members (and myself) after we sampled
a few a dozen.
Recipe for Almond-Kissed Butter Pecan Cookies
- 1 package butter pecan cake mix
- 1/3 cup packed quick oats
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- about 48 plain whole almonds (preferably raw and unsalted)
- Pour all ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Using a fork or sturdy wooden spoon, blend ingredients together to form a thick dough. Shape dough into small balls (about 3/4-inch or 2 cm in diameter) and place on ungreased baking sheets 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. Press a whole almond onto each ball of dough to flatten it.
- Bake at 350 degrees (180 C) for 12 to 14 minutes, until bottom edges of cookies begin to brown. Cool cookies on baking tray for 2 minutes before transferring to a platter or wire rack to cool more thoroughly.