I adore fresh bread. A restaurant can draw me in just by serving fabulous bread before my main meal arrives. Having warm and flavourful bread to start a meal or round out a buffet table is a treat at home too. For as much as my family enjoys fresh bread sticks made from scratch, I don’t always get around to making a batch because of the rising time. A quick-rise dough leavened with baking powder makes a handy alternative to yeast dough. Inspired by this idea for savoury waffles, I decided to make some better-for-you pizza waffles using whole wheat flour and nutrient-dense lentils!
These waffles are packed with pesto flavour and are also super quick to cook in the waffle iron. In about 30 minutes you can make a crispy, delicious appetizer that goes well with any Italian entrée you can think of. These pizza waffles will also make a great packed lunch the next day. I made some waffles with cheese, and some without. Both versions were fantastic and full of Italian flavour! So those of you who eat dairy-free or vegan can still enjoy the waffles as much as everyone else.
You may have noticed that I am a big fan of lentils. These waffles are so delicious that I will be entering them in the 2015 Canadian Lentils recipe contest as well, this time in the appetizer category.
If you’d like to see more amazing lentil recipes, head to the 2015 Lentil Recipe Revelations Challenge board on Pinterest.
Lentil Pesto Pizza Waffles
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1 Tablespoon honey or brown rice syrup
- 6 Tablespoons cold butter or margarine, cut into small cubes
- 2/3 cup lentil purée
- 1/2 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 3 Tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives, optional
- 8 slices of mozzarella cheese, about 2 cm by 2 cm, optional
- 1 cup marinara sauce, for dipping
- Whisk together flours, baking powder and garlic salt. Blend with pieces of cold butter, using your fingertips, a pastry blender or a food processor, until even crumbs form.
- Whisk together lentil puree with honey (or syrup) and milk. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredient mixture and stir together until a dough forms. Do not over mix. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and form into round biscuit shapes with your hands.
- Preheat a waffle iron. Use a sharp knife to cut a deep slit and form a pocket in each round of dough. Fill with 1 teaspoon pesto, 3 to 4 olive slices, and cheese, if using. Seal the open edge of the dough.
- Into the greased waffle iron, place the filled dough in the center of the iron. Close the lid slowly. Cook until golden brown and the middle of each pizza waffle is cooked through. Keep warm. Serve with marinara dipping sauce.