It turns out that raspberries and orange juice are a fun and entirely compatible flavour combination. When I needed a taste of sunshine last month, these muffins were a perfect pick-me-up. They are also a lovely addition to a weekend brunch, and are well-suited for Easter and other springtime celebrations.
I wasn’t sure what to call this recipe. Cupcakes or muffins? Lightly glazed, these are raspberry almond orange muffins. If you place a thick dollop of whipped coconut cream accented with pink raspberry frosting on top, they turn into cupcakes! So gather your ingredients and then prepare yourself for a fête of flavours, starring a raspberry-citrus blend.
Recipe for Raspberry Almond Muffins (or Cupcakes)
- 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour (or 1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour + 2 teaspoons coconut flour)
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup oil or melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
Orange Glaze Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup icing (powdered) sugar
- 2 drops almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- To make muffin batter, combine flours, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together honey, oil, brown sugar and eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Combine wet and dry mixtures and stir until ingredients are incorporated. Do not overmix. Stir in orange juice. Gently fold in raspberries.
- Pour batter into nine greased or lined muffin cups. Batter should be just slightly below the top of the cups. Bake for about 15 minutes or until muffins test done.
- To make glaze, whisk icing sugar, orange juice, and almond extract together. Spread glaze over tops of cooled muffins.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds. If desired, top each muffin with a raspberry. To make cupcakes, you may keep or omit the glaze and then add coconut whipped cream and raspberry frosting.