Holiday parties and open houses need something substantial–yet not too filling–that can balance out the all cookies and sweets. Stuff miniature pitas with tangy cranberry chicken salad and watch them go at your next event. This chicken (or turkey) salad actually tastes better after you let it chill for a while, since the flavours are accentuated over time. Hence, cranberry chicken salad is a perfect recipe to prepare ahead so that you can feel more relaxed when your guests arrive.
Recipe for Cranberry Chicken Salad Mini Pitas
- 2 cups cooked chicken (or turkey), shredded or chopped
- 3/4 cup Jane’s Cranberry Salsa
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, chopped, optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped, optional
- sea salt to taste
- 12 to 16 mini pita breads [I used my homemade naan bread recipe]
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, salsa, mayonnaise, sea salt and green onions (if adding). Stir until chicken is evenly coated with dressing. Cover and chill for at least 90 minutes, or up to 1 day before serving.
- Cut pita rounds in half and open a pocket for the salad. Stuff chicken salad into pita pockets and garnish with chopped cilantro and/or more green onions. Serve soon after assembling the pitas.
I share my recipes here.