This cake could have been a muffin. But sometimes it’s nice to have a slice of moist cake in the morning. Or to slice off a bit for an afternoon snack. Or opt for coffee cake after dinner, as a moderately sweet dessert. I like the crunchy top too. There’s nothing I didn’t like about this cake, actually. Perhap you’ll feel similarly after trying it too.
Recipe for Berry Lemonade Brunch Cake
- 1 cup spelt flour or unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup yellow corn flour or oat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup margarine, butter or oil
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 egg
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup berries, such as blueberries, mulberries, Saskatoon berries, or raspberries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). In a small mixing bowl, stir together flours, baking powder, and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, cream together softened butter or margarine and cane sugar. Beat in egg until smooth. Add lemon juice and water and stir until well combined.
- Add dry ingredient mixture to wet mixture and stir to form an even batter. Fold in berries.
- Grease an 8-inch cake pan and line the bottom only with a round piece of baking parchment. Pour in batter. Mix together cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle this topping evenly over the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until middle of cake tests done. Cool slightly, loosen cake edges with a knife and invert warm cake onto a plate before transferring to a serving platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I’m sharing this at Inspiration Spotlight , Foodie Friday, and I Gotta Try That.
7 thoughts on “Berry Lemonade Brunch Cake”
This “Berry Lemonade Brunch Cake” look absolutely scrumptious! 😛
I hope you get to taste it too!
I love a cake that tastes like a muffin! Especially one infused with blueberries that I am loving right now!
This looks really tasty! The best berries of the season are already behind us, but I bet this would still be delicious made with frozen berries. I’ll have to try it sometime soon.
Yes, frozen berries would work just as well. I’ve used both fresh and frozen. Enjoy!
YUM! Berries and Lemon are one of my favorites. I will be trying this crunch cake sometime. I am pinning it! Thank you for stopping by and linking up to Saturday Dishes Cakes & Party ideas.
This looks so delicious! I love the combination of lemon and berries. Yum! Pinning!
Thanks for sharing at Saturday Dishes, hope to see you back this weekend!