Moist and balanced in flavour, these sweet-but-not-too-sweet chocolate donuts beg to be downed with a glass of milk (non-dairy in my case). As an afternoon or evening snack, or for breakfast, these mini donuts happily accept a variety of finishing touches. Top them with chocolate ganache and coconut or ganache and chopped nuts, or simply dip them in granulated sugar. Chocolate cravings can thus be swiftly satisfied.
Recipe for Double Chocolate Mini Donuts with Coconut
Chocolate Donut Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup oil or vegan margarine, melted (plus more for greasing the pan)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. soft ripe banana, mashed
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour (or buckwheat flour if you wish to make these gluten free)
- 3 tablespoons fine unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine coconut milk with vinegar. Let stand for five minutes.
- In a separate mixing bowl, blend dry ingredients together with a fork or whisk.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and oil to coconut milk. Whisk together until smooth. Add mashed bananas and blend together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until a chocolate batter forms.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Grease a mini-donut pan with margarine or oil. Carefully pour batter into donut moulds.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for several minutes.
- Carefully remove donuts when slightly warm or completely cool. Cover with plastic wrap or place in a sealed container to keep moist until ready to frost with chocolate ganache, or dip donuts in sugar until evenly coated.
This recipe is linked to Tuesday Talent Show at Chef in Training.