Because of their versatility, these noodles are an excellent springboard toward a simple meal. Chickpeas were the star this time, though other variations of this flavorful Asian-inspired recipe include tofu, shrimp, chicken, and pork. In one form or another, these saucy noodles appear at least every other week in my menu plan. And meatless or otherwise, this entree revels in its perfectly balanced sauce.
Whatever tweaking you try with this, don’t leave out the fish sauce. It is not overpowering once blended with the soy and citrus juice. Feel free to swap lime juice for lemon and tomato sauce for ketchup, should you be so inclined.
Flexible like a soup, this dish can also incorporate whatever noodles and vegetables you have available. I often use sugar snap peas, for example, but this time of year asparagus is a welcome addition as well. Can you think of any other vegetables that might want to jump into the wok with these noodles?
Recipe for Vegetable Noodle Stir Fry with Chickpeas
adapted from Collecting the Moments… one by one
- 16 ounces (450 grams) chickpeas, tofu, cooked shrimp, or cooked chicken
- Rice vermicelli noodles
- Carrots, diced
- Snow peas, snap peas, or sweet peas
- 1/2 of a sweet bell pepper, chopped, optional
- 1/2 of an onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup (or plain tomato sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime (or lemon) juice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- Prepare rice noodles according to package directions. Drain and toss with 1 tablespoon oil. Set aside.
- Prepare a sauce for the stir fry by blending together fish sauce, soy sauce, ketchup, and lime or lemon juice in a small bowl. In a large wok, heat remaining oil and saute garlic and onion over medium heat for 1 minute. Add vegetables and stir fry until they are cooked through. Add sauce mixture and chickpeas or other protein (such as tofu or chicken). Stir and cook for several minutes so that the sauce is incorporated. Last, add noodles, stirring and cooking until they are heated through. Serve noodles warm, topped with cashews if desired.
Makes about 6 servings.