Sweetened with maple syrup and a modest amount of brown sugar, this pie features a rich medley of pecans, almonds, and walnuts.
It was lovely to spend some extended time in the kitchen over the Thanksgiving holiday. A few months ago I started a new part-time job working at a school. Though I enjoy the challenge, working more hours outside the home has left me with less time to experiment and develop recipes, though I still share some posts on Instagram.
Even this pie was no experiment, because we’ve enjoyed it with family and friends on several holiday occasions in the past. What I like is that it wins over people who like pecans and pie but who tend to avoid regular pecan pie because it tastes far too sweet. All through my growing up years in Oklahoma, I wondered this: Why does every pecan pie have to be ruined by being so ridiculously sweet?
Not so with this recipe. It has no corn syrup, which you would never find in my pantry anyway.
Instead, pure maple syrup and brown sugar compliment the rich nut flavors without taking over. The mixture of nuts is also adjustable to your liking or what you have available. Feel free to swap out the almonds or walnuts for more pecans if you wish.
Pecan Maple Nut Pie
Adapted from 5 Dollar Dinners
- 1 regular or gluten-free pie crust
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1+1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
- Make pie filling by whisking together eggs, sugar, maple syrup, melted butter or oil, vanilla and salt. Stir in nuts.
- Gently place uncooked pie crust in pie plate and shape to form a pie shell. Pour filling onto the prepared crust.
- Bake filled pie at 375 degrees (190 C) until middle of filling is set, about 40 to 45 minutes, making sure crust edges and nuts do not get overly dark or burn.
- Let pie cool completely before slicing. Cover and store pie in refrigerator.