Taste the flavours of Asia in a delightful new way with deconstructed potstickers made from rice flour, cabbage and ground pork or chicken. Easier than fussing with wrappers and oh so good!
You know what’s amazing? That someone can throw an enjoyable, welcoming party every week–for a whole year! If you haven’t popped over to Angie’s Fiesta Friday before, you really should. It’s the most interactive and friendly bunch of foodies that you are ever likely to meet on WordPress. I love it when I can participate. And I certainly did not want to miss the big anniversary bash that starts this week!
So I am bringing out my new potsticker recipe a few weeks early in honour of the auspicious occasion. If you like these inside out potstickers, now you’ve got time to make them your own by the time Superbowl Sunday and Chinese New Year arrive next month! For even more party food ideas, see my recent roundup of 12 Gluten Free Party Starters and Sweets. Let the celebrations begin!
Inside Out Potstickers - Gluten Free
- 1.5 cups rice flour
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 240 g (8 ounces) ground pork or chicken
- 3/4 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 shallot, minced
- oyster sauce or sweet chili sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- soy sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder, optional
- Add sesame oil to a heated skillet and sauté shallots for one minute. Add ground chicken or port and season with five spice (if using) and ginger. Brown meat in a skillet until cooked through, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks. Turn off heat and season with oyster sauce (or chili sauce) and soy sauce to taste.
- Stir in shredded cabbage and onion (which can be prepared faster with a food processor).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flours, and salt with a fork, followed by egg and 1/3 to 1/2 cup water. Continue whisking until a smooth, thick batter forms. Add meat and cabbage mixture and stir until combined well.
- In a medium skillet or wok, pour oil to a depth of 1 cm. Heat oil over medium heat. Batter should bubble in the oil when it is hot enough. Add small spoonfuls of batter and fry on one side until golden, then flip over and fry the other side until golden as well. Remove the potsticker cakes and drain on paper towels. Serve potstickers warm, with garlic-infused soy sauce for dipping.