Freezable desserts are the absolute best for summer. After serving the trifle once, I froze the remaining leftover portion and pulled it out more than a week later. It was just as delicious as round one.
This recipe can also be used to create two different desserts, which are both really delicious! What I did was split the mango lemon cream in half to make a smaller trifle (using less cake). The other half I used for Mango Lemon Semifreddo cups, which have been a popular recipe here for good reason. So why not opt to save time and make both the semifreddo and this trifle on the same day? Then freeze and enjoy each dessert whenever you wish!
Mango Lemon Trifle
For the mango lemon cream
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen mango pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup pure honey
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups whipped cream or whipped coconut cream, chilled
For the trifle
- mango lemon cream
- 4 cups pound cake, yellow cake, or white cake, cubed
- 2 to 3 ripe mangos, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons pecan pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- To make mango lemon curd, puree mango, lemon juice, egg yolks, and honey together in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a microwave-safe bowl and cook in the microwave on high for 60 seconds. Stir and cook on high again in 30 second intervals until smooth and thickened (it will be like a thin pudding). Let cool to room temperature and then chill in the refrigerator.
- Gently fold together whipped cream and mango lemon curd until evenly combined.
- To assemble the trifle, place a layer of cake cubes in a glass serving bowl. Top with a layer of mango lemon cream followed by most of the mango slices (reserve 6 to 8 slices for the topping). Add another layer of cake, followed by mango lemon cream. Top with fresh mango slices, pecans and coconut. Refrigerate and serve the same day or freeze for future use. Thaw before serving.