It’s the most wonderful and most activity packed time of the year! A gloriously simple supper of rich soup is an ideal weeknight meal solution. My friend Jessica shared this this delicious stuffed pepper soup with me, and I know your family will love it too! It is great to have a hearty homemade soup that comes together in less than an hour, with most of that time being hands-off while it simmers. You can also tossed the browned meat in your slow cooker, along with the other ingredients, and let it cook on low while you are out for the day. Enjoy!
Recipe for Simple Stuffed Pepper Soup
lightly adapted from Jessica at Reimer Recipes
(her recipe includes step-by-step photos)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, ground meat, or vegetarian sausage, crumbled and browned
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 small bell peppers chopped
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 2 large or 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Saute onion, celery, garlic, and peppers in a small amount of olive oil. Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cooked sausage or meat and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and salt and pepper to taste. Continue simmering on low until ready to serve.