Modern raw dessert recipes are packed with appealing flavours and nutritional benefits, but preparing most of them requires the use of a decent food processor. This recipe is an exception. Happily, a few extra minutes of patience with ye olde Oster blender were richly rewarded by this symphonic cherry chocolate pudding.
Preparation would have gone even more smoothly had I waited another day for one of the avocados to soften further. The trick is to preserve the ripe avocados in the refrigerator while the remaining avocados ripen in the fruit bowl on the counter. Nevertheless, after some additional blending and scraping, I dipped my spoon into the sweet, creamy pudding I was after.
Recipe for Fresh Cherry Chocolate Pudding with Avocado
Adapted from Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mousse by Michelle
- 2 medium ripe avocados, seeds and peel removed (wait until soft)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk or soy milk
- 5 to 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- scant 1/8 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- pinch of sea salt
- 7 juicy ripe cherries, halved and pitted, plus whole cherries for garnish
- Add all ingredients except whole cherries to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping down sides between pulses.
- Transfer pudding to serving dishes. Chill until ready to serve. Top with cherries, sliced almonds, and/or coconut whipped cream.