Modern raw dessert recipes are packed with appealing flavours and nutritional benefits, but preparing most of them requires the use of a decent food processor. This recipe is an exception. Happily, a few extra minutes of patience with ye olde Oster blender were richly rewarded by this symphonic cherry chocolate pudding.
Preparation would have gone even more smoothly had I waited another day for one of the avocados to soften further. The trick is to preserve the ripe avocados in the refrigerator while the remaining avocados ripen in the fruit bowl on the counter. Nevertheless, after some additional blending and scraping, I dipped my spoon into the sweet, creamy pudding I was after.
Recipe for Fresh Cherry Chocolate Pudding with Avocado
Adapted from Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mousse by Michelle
- 2 medium ripe avocados, seeds and peel removed (wait until soft)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk or soy milk
- 5 to 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- scant 1/8 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- pinch of sea salt
- 7 juicy ripe cherries, halved and pitted, plus whole cherries for garnish
- Add all ingredients except whole cherries to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping down sides between pulses.
- Transfer pudding to serving dishes. Chill until ready to serve. Top with cherries, sliced almonds, and/or coconut whipped cream.
This recipe is linked to June’s Chocolate Cherry Party, Simple Lives, and Gluten Free Fridays.
10 thoughts on “Fresh Cherry Chocolate Pudding with Avocado”
This looks great, I love the combination of flavors. I especially like that it doesn’t require cooking, like a traditional pudding. I never can time the ripening of my avocados either!
It is a nice change of pace! I prefer simpler recipes during the summertime.
So interesting to use avocados, I’ve been lots of recipe that are sweet with avocados and it’s intriguing 🙂
It took me a while of seeing such recipes to finally take the plunge, but I’m glad I did. =)
YUMMY, this has my name written all over it! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! 🙂
Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com
Vegetarianmama: I would love to be a part of Gluten Free Fridays, how do I join?
The pudding looks great, I hope to make it, soon as the avocados are ripe!
Here’s the link:
My husband and I do a raw foods quite often, but are not into making the super-complicated recipes that require sprouting, etc. This looks great – thanks for sharing!
I’m all about simplicity too! I hope you enjoy this!