Crisp and refreshing, a simple cabbage salad gets lifted to greater heights with an exquisite sesame orange dressing. Never mind a main dish. All summer long I would be content with salads and desserts.
I initially skipped adding any almonds, thinking that they might be cliché. But I tried tossing some in when I was finishing off the delicious leftovers, and was amazed. Just a sprinkling of almonds added spectacular crunch and flavour. Though they missed the photo session, I suggest you don’t skip the almonds unless you must.
Sesame Orange Napa Cabbage Salad
for the salad
- 3 cups Napa cabbage, thinly sliced and chopped
- 1 carrot, grated (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2/3 cup almonds, optional (but recommended)
for the dressing
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons salad oil, such as grapeseed or olive oil
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black or white sesame seeds
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Shortly before serving, toss salad ingredients together and pour dressing over salad, tossing gently to mix the flavours.
Note: This salad tastes best when served the same day the dressing is added.
I share recipes here.